Wednesday 22 April 2009

Hot Discovery



I am gravely aware of the lack of posting that has taken place recently but such is the result of over indulgence during the Easter period. All cooking recently has been rather simple or else stolen (by that I mean I have used others recipes unadulterated and, hence, do not feel justified to post about them as if they are my own). However, I would like to share one of my recent food discoveries.
I have made Quesadillas for years but having bought Nigella Lawson’s ‘Express’ over Easter I noticed she uses Jalapeno Chilli Peppers in them. They weren’t hard to find – I got them at the supermarket but I don’t buy ready-made sauces so I don’t often venture down that aisle. I love a ‘kick’ in my food and I always have chilli flakes in my spice cupboard and am forever throwing a pinch into various dishes. But these are a different way of instilling heat into a dish. They don’t so much infuse a dish with heat as chilli flakes do but rather give a heat explosion when you bite into one. They give a real fiery bite to quesadillas, chilli and pasta. They are bottled in vinegar, ready sliced, so itis as simple as opening the jar. You can see the brand I tried above but I am sure there are various brands and varieties which I will be looking out for in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Strange. I have a recipe from an American blog that required these. I have never seen them and found those very ones last week. Have you ever used the Peppadew ones? They are so moreish. Great in salads too and lovely eaten from the jar. They are sweet with a mild 'bite' to them. Ii always have them in the house. Great for adding a bit of colour to a dish and a lovely subtle flavour.

    ReplyDelete