Tuesday 28 April 2009

Rosemary and Sea Salt Chicken Nuggets


Those of you who have read Nigella Lawson's Feast will recognise this recipe as very similar to her 'Ritzy Chicken Nuggets' and that is because that is how this started out. But not being able to get my hands on packet of Ritz crackers without an hour round trip to the supermarket, I had to improvise and, is so often the case, necessity is the mother of invention. The main adjustment is that I use Rosemary and Sea Salt crackers in place of plain ones (or any other herby crackers). This adds a slightly more grown-up dimension to the chicken nuggets while still being suitable for children and I am always pleased with a recipe that I can give my son without feeling we had to compromise on the taste. I served this up alongside Nigella's New Orleans Coleslaw and a potato gratin. (Can anyone tell I'm reading my way through Nigella Express at the minute?) With expectant hope, it was slightly more summery than I have been serving in recent days. I will definately be serving up a large batch of these the next time I have a large gathering of people.


INGREDIENTS
2 chicken breasts
1 x 284ml tub buttermilk
150g Rosemary and Sea Salt crackers (I used Jacobs)
125ml vegetable oil


METHOD
1. Put the chicken breasts one at a time into a freezer bag so that they lie flat. Bash with a rolling pin until the chicken is quite thin, and then take it out and slice into about six to eight slices or goujons. Repeat with the other chicken breast.

2. Put the sliced goujons into a freezer bag with the buttermilk and leave in the fridge to marinate for up to 2 days.

3. When you are ready to cook them, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Put the crackers into a bag, seal the end, then bash them as above and, once they have broken down a little, roll them with a rolling pin still inside the bag.

4. Tip the crumbs into a wide shallow bowl, and then shake off the excess buttermilk from the nuggets and dip them in the crumbs. Coat them well before laying gently in the hot oil, and cooking for about 2 or 3 minutes a side until they are golden brown. Try to fry in two batches or you may have to change the oil.

5. Transfer to some kitchen towel on a plate to blot the excess oil. Pop them in a warm oven to keep warm while you do the next batch.


These adequately served me, my husband and my baby son and they freeze perfectly though I doubt there'll be any leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love these. I frequently improvise myself and use whatever is lying around in the larder LOL. Yours look lovely. Great pic

    ReplyDelete